Accredited Exercise Scientists (AESs) are professionals with high level training in exercise and sports science. At a minimum, they have completed a three year Bachelor degree.
This equips the AESs with the knowledge and skills to apply the science of exercise to develop services that improve health, fitness, well being, performance, and that assist in the prevention of chronic conditions.
The aim of AES services is to provide physical activity and/or exercise programs for individuals or for the broader community.
AESs provide services including:
• Tailored physical activity programs for healthy individuals wanting to become more active
• Tailored coaching programs for people engaged in sport
• Policy advice on physical activity and exercise for decision makers
• Health promotion campaigns for the general population
• Workplace well-being and screening testing
• Support AEPs in the delivery of exercise programs to individuals living with chronic disease or injury.
AESs can work in a number of environments, including:
• Fitness centres, gymnasiums, private practices or businesses
• Teaching/program planning roles in schools
• Policy roles for government and non-profit agencies
• Sport coaching/training
• Community health and hospitals
• Health promotion
• Corporate health and industrial settings (e.g. mining)
• Ageing and aged care facilities.